Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)
All applicants must apply to the Office of Motor Vehicles for a class E Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) prior to participation in the knowledge test, operation of a motor vehicle during on-road driving skills instruction, or participation in the on-road driving skills test. The TIP may be issued to any individual that is at least 14 years of age. The TIP allows a driver education student to operate a motor vehicle when accompanied by a driver education instructor and when completing behind the wheel instruction or during the administration of a skills test. Applicants shall meet all other Office of Motor Vehicles identification requirements. This requirement does not apply to applicants enrolled in a National Guard Youth Challenge Program. Any student enrolled in a driver education, driver training program, or a pre-licensing training course prior to 09/04/2018 is exempt from this requirement.
Documents Required for Issuance of a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)
- Proof of identification
- Proof of residency (2)
- Verification of your Social Security Number
- Acceptable verification includes your Social Security card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be presented. The number may also be given verbally.
- You must also present one additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.
Additional Requirements for Applicants Seventeen and Under
- The signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the issuance of any license (including first time applications, duplicates and changing restrictions).
- Documentation must be presented to prove custody or legal guardianship.
- Identification must be presented by the minor and the parent or guardian.
- Only the domiciliary parent may sign if joint custody has been awarded.
OMV DOES NOT ACCEPT PHOTOCOPIES OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Make an appointment at expresslane.org
All students enrolled in a driver's education or pre-licensing course must present a TIP and keep it in possession throughout in-car instruction and during the road test. THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE CLASS WITHOUT THE TIP CARD. You need to make an appointment at the real OMV. You may contact the Office of Motor Vehicles at (225) 925-6146.
Parents are the only person that can bring their child to DMV. Bring original birth certificate and social security card to the OMV along with the student. They will not accept photo copies. You must bring papers to prove you are the custodial parent if you are divorced.